Easy backups on Linux, putting it to the test

In an earlier post I was talking about how I've been using mondo as preferred backup solution for quite some time. However, I have never used it to restore stuff, since I've never broken any install before and hardware hasn't failed on me yet.
Since I wanted to replace the smaller 10GB hard drive, I've installed in the Wyse, with a bigger 500GB one, this would be an ideal case to try and restore everything with mondo.
So I created a backup of the 10GB drive with mondo to an NFS share on another PC (using the script posted earlier). Next, burned the resulting ISO to a CD and finally booted from the CD and interactively restored my data.
mondo has 2 main restore modes; interactive and nuke. Since my new drive was bigger than the original drive, mondo suggested to drop to interactive mode, which allowed me to create a whole new partition scheme (which is nice). The only thing that failed was grub installing itself on the master boot record. I'm not sure why, maybe a bug in the ancient mondo that ships with Etch, who knows. I had to install grub using knoppix and then the system booted just fine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remove copy protection from PDF documents

The story of the Cobalt Qube

Jori Hulkkonen feat. Jerry Valuri - Lo-Fiction